Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join/Register
Site Search
Newsroom: Industry News

U.S. CPSC Validates Safety of Lead Chromate in Synthetic Turf and STC Announces Voluntary Reduction

Wednesday, July 30, 2008  
Share |

ATLANTA, GA – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced today that synthetic turf fields are okay to install and play on for children and people of all ages. The CPSC evaluation of old and newer synthetic turf fields concludes that "young children are not at risk from exposure to lead in these fields.” Their full statement is accessible at:

Immediately following the CPSC’s call for the development of voluntary standards to eventually eliminate lead from synthetic turf, the Synthetic Turf Council announced its proactive plans to achieve that goal.

"The Synthetic Turf Council fully supports the efforts by the CPSC, EPA, and CDC to eliminate lead in all products where feasible,” says Rick Doyle, President of the Association.

"With this commitment, we are voluntarily agreeing to reduce lead levels in accordance with the proposed Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, and to the same strict standards Congress is likely to impose on the children’s toy industry.”

STC’s Voluntary Commitment

Throughout the years, the synthetic turf industry has developed and tested new pigment formulations to enable the removal of all or most of the lead from over 90% of the pigments used to color synthetic turf. Now the STC plans to reduce lead levels in the remaining 10% of all colored fibers that still require lead chromate to meet the consumer’s demand for long-term colorfastness.

The STC voluntarily agrees to comply with the revised lead restrictions currently proposed for children’s products in H.R. 4040. Specifically, the level of lead will be reduced in all pigments used to color synthetic turf to 300 ppm or less by no later than January 1, 2010, and to 100 ppm or less by no later than January 1, 2012.

About the Synthetic Turf Council

Based in Atlanta, the Synthetic Turf Council was founded in 2003 to promote the industry and to assist buyers and end users with the selection, use and maintenance of synthetic turf systems in sports field, golf and landscape applications. The organization is also a resource for current, credible, and independent research on the safety and environmental impact of synthetic turf. STC members produce and install most of the synthetic turf sports fields in North America. Membership includes builders, landscape architects, testing labs, maintenance providers, installation contractors, infill material suppliers and other specialty service companies. For more information, visit

more Industry Calendar

10/27/2016 » 10/28/2016
ISSS Technical Conference

New Members
Martin Brothers ConstructionWe construct base systems for synthetic turf athletic fields

Sign Up to Receive Newsletters »


About STC

Synthetic Turf


Industry Calendar


Members Only

Resource Center




Membership Software  ::  Legal